LAS VEGAS (KXNT) – Las Vegas drivers can expect some potentially serious traffic issues, particularly around the UNLV campus and McCarran International Airport, in connection with the upcoming presidential debate on Oct. 19, according to Las Vegas police.
With the debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump set to begin at 6 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center, LVMPD announced a series of periodic restrictions on Las Vegas valley roadways surrounding the debate.
Intermittent closures were expected from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. in several areas, including:
• I-15 Southbound from Sahara Ave. to I-215 Eastbound through the airport connector
(tunnel) to Russell Rd.
• Russell Rd. Eastbound and Westbound from McCarran International Airport to Maryland
• Maryland Pkwy. Northbound and Southbound from Russell Rd. to Tropicana Ave.
• Tropicana Ave. Westbound from Maryland Pkwy. to Swenson St.
• Swenson St. Northbound and Southbound from Naples Drive to Tropicana Ave.
Air travelers were also warned the closures will affect access to McCarran and to plan accordingly.
LVMPD officials recommend eastside McCarran traffic westbound Flamingo Road to southbound Paradise Road to reach the airport. The recommended route from the westside is taking Tropicana Avenue eastbound to Paradise southbound into McCarran.