LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas/AP) — Another woman has come forward to claim that she was raped by Bill Cosby.
Joan Tarshis told “CBS This Morning” that the actor and comedian drugged and raped her on two separate occasions in 1969 when she was 19. She said that Cosby invited her to help come up with material for his comedy act. Then when she was on the set of “The Bill Cosby Show,” he gave her a cocktail.
“I was sitting up writing one second and the next second I was lying down on the couch having my underwear taken off,” Tarshis said.
She said Cosby then raped her again two weeks after that. She caught off all contact with him after that alleged incident.
“His MO is the same. He works with people, he gets you into a position where you think you’re going to work with him, and then he drugs you and rapes you,” she told “CBS This Morning.”
Tarshis, who is the fifth woman to accuse Cosby of rape, told CNN that the actor is a “serial rapist.” She said she didn’t report the alleged 1969 incidents to police because she felt no one would believe her.
“Nobody else had come out. I didn’t know his history. I assumed I was not the only girl he was doing this with, but who’s going to believe me?” Tarshis said, adding, “They would probably think I was out to get something.”
Cosby’s attorney said Sunday the actor will not dignify “decade-old, discredited” claims of sexual abuse with a response.
In a statement released to The Associated Press and posted online, lawyer John P. Schmitt said the fact that the allegations are being repeated “does not make them true.”
“He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work,” Schmitt said.
The renewed attention to a dark chapter for Cosby began last month when a comedian, Hannibal Buress, assailed him during a stand-up performance in Philadelphia, Cosby’s hometown, calling him a “rapist.” His remarks were captured on video and posted online, gaining wide exposure.
It was harsh criticism of the veteran entertainer known equally for his charming standup comedy, ethnically groundbreaking 1984-92 NBC TV sitcom “The Cosby Show” and demands for personal responsibility directed at fellow African-Americans.
Adding to the growing firestorm: One of Cosby’s accusers, Barbara Bowman, leveled allegations of sexual assault against him in interviews and in an online column for the Washington Post. Bowman wrote that in 1985, she was 17 and an aspiring actress when Cosby “brainwashed me into viewing him as a father figure, and then assaulted me multiple times.”
Cosby, who was never criminally charged in any case, settled a civil suit in 2006 with another woman over an alleged incident two years before.
He stonewalled National Public Radio host Scott Simon during an interview aired this weekend with Cosby and his wife, Camille, about their African-American art collection. Cosby fell silent when asked by Simon about “serious allegations raised about you in recent days,” which prompted the host to say, “You’re shaking your head, no. … Do you have any response to those charges? Shaking your head, no.”
Simon told “CBS This Morning” that Cosby was not ambushed by the question.
“In fact, he had to know the question because he began to shake his head and his finger two or three words into the question,” Simon explained. “So I don’t think he was surprised at all.”
An appearance on CBS’ “Late Show with David Letterman” was canceled, and another engagement, on “The Queen Latifah Show” on Oct. 30, was characterized by that show as a postponement granted at Cosby’s request.
Cosby is scheduled to appear at Treasure Island in Las Vegas for his one-man show on Nov. 28.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)