Utah Woman In Critical Condition After Drinking Tea Laced With Lye
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A woman drank sweet tea containing a toxic cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat, after a Utah restaurant employee mistook the substance for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser, the woman’s attorney said Thursday.
Jan Harding, 67, is in critical condition at a Salt Lake City hospital’s burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life, lawyer Paxton Guymon said.
The restaurant manager and investigators have told the woman’s family that the worker accidentally put large quantities of a product containing lye into the iced-tea dispenser at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in South Jordan, he said. The chemical is common at restaurants and used to degrease deep fryers.
Harding and her husband had just arrived at the restaurant after church Sunday when she took a sip of the tea and exclaimed to her husband: “I think I just drank acid.”
Jim Harding rushed his wife to a nearby hospital. She was then flown to the University of Utah hospital, where she remained Thursday, Guymon said. Harding’s husband and their three adult children were by her side, praying for her recovery.
The family declined to comment through Guymon, who spoke on their behalf.
“It’s disturbing that this kind of toxic, poisonous material would be in the food prep area and somehow find its way into the iced tea vat,” Guymon said. “I don’t know how something like that can happen.”
South Jordan Police are still investigating how the chemical ended up in the jug of sweet tea, but they think it was accidental, South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler said. Investigators are reviewing video footage from inside the restaurant and interviewing staff who worked that day and in the days leading up to the incident.
They have determined Harding is the only victim, Winkler said. It appears she was the first to drink the tea that day, and restaurant employees dumped it out after she was burned, he said.
John Thomson, owner of the Dickey’s Barbecue franchise in South Jordan, said in a statement Thursday that he’s praying for Harding and cooperating with investigators. He refrained from commenting on the specifics out of respect for the Hardings.
South Jordan is a suburb of 60,000 about 15 miles south of Salt Lake City.
The restaurant has remained open, said Jeff Oaks, Food Protection Bureau Manager at the Salt Lake County Health Department. His office inspected the establishment Monday and found all chemicals properly labeled and separated from food items.
The health department is waiting on the results of the criminal investigation to determine if they need to issue any violations. It’s unlikely that the restaurant would be fined or shut down, Oaks said.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)