LAS VEGAS (AP) — Sentencing has been postponed until Oct. 24 for a former Las Vegas endoscopy clinic owner and a former employee facing prison following their criminal convictions in July in a 2007 hepatitis C outbreak.
Clark County District Court Judge Valerie Adair said Thursday she couldn’t sentence Dipak Desai and former nurse-anesthetist Ronald Lakeman, without a presentencing report from state officials.
The 63-year-old Desai and 66-year-old Lakeman face what could be decades in prison after being found guilty July 1.
The convictions stemmed from infections of seven people at Desai’s Endoscopy Clinic of Southern Nevada.
Desai was also found guilty of the death of 77-year-old Rodolfo Meana in April 2012.
Lakeman was spared a murder conviction, but his lawyer couldn’t convince the judge to free Lakeman from jail pending sentencing.
Meanwhile, The Las Vegas Review-Journal is reporting that a second hepatitis C victim in the criminal case against Dr. Dipak Desai has died.
Michael Washington, 73, who testified during Desai’s trial earlier this year, reportedly died of complications from the disease late last month in Dallas. The newspaper says the information comes from Washington’s Las Vegas lawyer, Ed Bernstein.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press