(Las Vegas, NV) The Clark County School District Board of Trustees approved 14 campuses as the inaugural Zoom Schools pilot program.
All Zoom Schools will receive additional resources, including free pre-kindergarten programs, expanded full-day kindergarten programs with smaller class sizes, free summer school offerings and Reading Skills Development Centers designed to provide students with unprecedented support in gaining key reading skills to unlock a world of understanding.
The 14 schools participating in the pilot program are:
• Arturo Cambeiro Elementary School
• Manuel J. Cortez Elementary School
• Lois Craig Elementary School
• Ollie Detwiler Elementary School
• Ruben Diaz Elementary School
• Fay Herron Elementary School
• Robert Lunt Elementary School
• Reynaldo Martinez Elementary School
• Paradise Elementary School
• Dean Petersen Elementary School
• Bertha Ronzone Elementary School
• Myrtle Tate Elementary School
• Rose Warren Elementary School
• Tom Williams Elementary School
The Zoom School pilot program is the result of extensive research by state officials into intensive efforts to help ELL students.
Governor Brian Sandoval identified English Language Learner programs as one of his top priorities and included money for ELL in his budget.
The end result is an outstanding example of bi-partisan cooperation in which $50 million in funding will be provided for Zoom Schools throughout the state, including $39.4 million for efforts in CCSD.
Zoom Schools programs will begin August 26, at the start of the 2013-2014 school year.