No Permit? No Problem!
Las Vegas CBS KXNT – There’s an amnesty program in the works for Clark County homeowners who have done an illegal residential improvement.
Do-it-yourselfers who self-report during the month of May won’t face penalties on unpermitted projects from Clark County, or the cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Mesquite and Boulder City. Normal penalties imposed by the county are three times the permit fee, plus an investigation fee, acccording to building inspector Ron Lynn.
They’re also sending an inspector to the property to offer guidance for correcting faulty projects.
Errant homeowners will have to pay basic permit fee, but will be spared from a much more expensive event — potential denial of an insurance claim. Most insurers have a provision in the policy that says they don’t cover events arising from illegal home improvements, Clark County’s Lynn told KXNT.
Another costly surprise happens when buyers walk from a sale after realizing there’s an illegal improvement on the property, Lynn says.
Some projects don’t require a permit, and some require multiple permits. Information is available from the county inspector’s office, and each city has its own building inspection office.
Applications for the Residential Amnesty Program are available at the building department for the homeowner’s jurisdiction.
• The Clark County Building Department’s Permit Application Center is located at 4701 W. Russell Road and may be reached at (702) 455-3000 or http://www.ClarkCountyNV.gov.
• The Las Vegas Building and Safety Department is located in the Development Services Center, 333 North Rancho Drive, and may be reached at (702) 229-6251 or http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov.
• The Henderson Community Development and Services Department, Division of Building and Fire Safety is located in the Development Services Center located in Henderson City Hall at 240 Water Street. The may be reached at (702) 267-3600 or at http://www.cityofhenderson.com.
• The City of North Las Vegas Permit Application Center is located in City Hall at 2250 Las Vegas Boulevard North and may be reached at (702) 633-1577 or http://www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com.
• The Mesquite Building Department, Division of Development Services, is located at 10 East Mesquite Boulevard and may be reached at (702) 346-2835 or http://www.mesquitenv.gov.
• The Boulder City Building Department Permit Application Center is located at 401 California Avenue and may be reached at (702) 293-9282 or http://www.bcnv.org.