Whether you live in Las Vegas or on another continent altogether, chances are you’ve seen Olwen Zarlengo’s impeccable sense of style and attention to detail already. From glamorous editorials with top magazines and designers to sophisticated advertisements for major brands like Ciroc Vodka’s “Luck Be a Lady” commercial starring Sean Combs, Olwen’s work speaks for itself and spans an incredible 26 years in the fashion industry. Here, she shares her tips for how men and women can dress with style this season.
Tips For Men:
- Jackets and Blazers: “Men should invest in a nicely tailored jacket. One of my favorites is Belstaff. They make quite a fashion statement. They are quite fitted, a mix between a jacket and a blazer with distinct pockets. We’ll see this shape a lot more and not in the usual earth tones. Men will be wearing them with t-shirts and jeans, not just slacks.”
- More Color: “Locally, I hear a lot of men want more color, and there will be a lot of color coming out for men this season. We will see brightly colored jackets for men in fuschia, teal and cherry red, worn with different shades of neutrals. Pocket squares are more and more popular now and a nice way to introduce color into a man’s wardrobe. Try a navy jacket with a bright orange pocket square. When trying to add more color or a new trend into your wardrobe, don’t take on too many things at once. Just adding one or two interesting things at a time will instantly update your look without being overwhelming.”
- Linen, Cottons and Natural Textures Will Be Huge: “I’m hoping to see more men wear linen blazers with shorts and Docker-type shoes and even wearing that to work this summer.”
For men who don’t usually deviate from their usual style, Olwen has a bit of advice. Start out by trying nicely groomed, slender shapes and those with a mostly monochromatic wardrobe should throw in some color. “Slowly these trends will be embraced. Not all men will jump on these trends right away, but more men will get used to the idea of adding color and we’ll see more of that in the seasons to come.”
Tips for Women:
- Color, Color, Color: “Women should wear pops of color near the face, like a brightly colored scarf or earring. It takes years off. Both men and women can wear short brightly colored scarves with neutrals and stripes, like at Tommy Hilfiger. And we’ll see a lot of color blocking.”
- The Gaultier Re-do: “Pairing black and white is a very modern look and we’ll see a lot of that contrast for women.”
- Sheer Layering: “Not bo-ho, but go with something sheer over something more fitted. Try organza over a leather skirt, an oversized sheer shirt with a tank underneath or sheer pants over leggings. It creates an illusion and an extra interest.”
- The New Power Suit: “Blazers will take different shape. A streamlined version of deconstruction will make a regular suit look boring. Ladies can make an old blazer asymmetrical by folding over one lapel and adding a brooch.”
- Labels to Look Out For: “I love Nicole Richie’s line for Macy’s and Bespoken, another label I love, is doing polka dots and stripes.”
Olwen’s advice for women who want to look their best in Las Vegas is, “When it comes to your wardrobe, you gotta stretch it. Mix two different color suits, it will update and stretch your wardrobe a little further. Living in Las Vegas allows women to wear spring and summer clothes a little longer. Summer dresses worn in layers can transition into fall and winter seamlessly.”
Selena Viskovich is on the move. She’s co-owner and buyer for Haute Chix boutique and since establishing its three locations and launching Las Vegas’ first mobile fashion truck with her mom just a few years ago, she has recently added personal shopping and styling to the mix. Her personal style is effortless and chic and reflective of the timeless trends you’ll find at any of her stores. Here are a few items on Selena’s shopping list and some tips to help you stand out.
- How to stretch your wardrobe further: “Find quality items at affordable prices. There are many color options this season and with overlapping trends, you can recycle lots of pieces from last year. Also, buy classic pieces while keeping the trend in mind. You can mix and match three to four closet staples for several different looks.”
- What’s on my shopping list: “I’m optimistic about fashion this year. One trend that stands out for women is the 50’s-60’s revival; tea lengths, tie necks, pastels and simplistic, feminine, loose-fitting silhouettes. I also love ladylike business attire and day-to-night accessories like oversize clutches and chunky jewelry.”
- Key pieces: “Skinny waist belts are a necessity. Buy one black and two shades of brown to accentuate curves and make your outfit more ladylike and feminine.”
9417 Willowridge Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89149
Christine Moeller has been fashion’s go-to girl for over 16 years. Her intuitive fashion sense and extraordinary editorial talents have been featured on the covers of many magazines and propelled her to the top of Las Vegas’ fashion scene. One of the industries frontrunners and most in demand stylists in the area, Christine’s highly sought after sense of style “The Moeller Touch” has transformed many models and celebrities and from all walks of life. Everyday individuals who could use a few insider tips and style advice can discover the friendlier side of fashion by reading her blog, a witty and down-to-earth guide to your own personal style.
Elysha Perry is a freelance writer in Las Vegas. She has covered various topics including Shopping & Style, Family & Pets and Food & Drink. Her work can be found at Examiner.com.