Listen Online - Listen on Mobile Radio.com | Mobile App Info

Woman Dies, Man Hospitalized in Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

LAS VEGAS (KXNT) – A woman died and her boyfriend was hospitalized after both were overcome by carbon monoxide gas from outdoor cooking devices and a generator set up inside their northwest valley home, authorities said.

Emergency personnel arrived at the home on the 6600 block of Crosstimber Court just before 5 p.m. Thursday following a call for medical help, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue Public Information officer Tim Szymanski said.

A passer-by told authorities a man flagged him down, asking for help and saying his girlfriend still inside the house also needed medical attention.

Armed with protective clothing and breathing apparatus, arriving firefighters went inside and found extreme amounts of carbon monoxide gas inside the house.

The man’s girlfriend was found lying unresponsive on the floor at the top of the stairs and immediately taken outside. Despite efforts to resuscitate her, she was pronounced dead at the scene. Her identity was not immediately released pending family notification.

The male victim was hospitalized for treatment.

After allowing several hours for the carbon monoxide gas to clear out of the house, investigators found two outside cooking devices inside the house which appeared to be used for heating. A power generator was also found being used to produce electricity since utilities to the house were disconnected.

Szymanski warned every home should have a carbon monoxide alarm along with smoke alarms. Carbon monoxide alarms are mandatory in every residence in 39 U.S. states and Canada, although it is not mandatory in Nevada.

The incident remains under investigation until an exact cause of death is determined by the Clark County Coroner.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

Introducing Your New Podcast Network Play.it
New CBS Local Sports

Listen Live