LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Las Vegas middle school is back in session nearly a week after a mercury discovery forced more than 1,000 students into a quarantine that lasted overnight.
The Clark County School District said Tuesday that students are back at Walter Johnson Junior High School.
A few dribbles of the neurotoxin were first found on campus Wednesday morning, prompting a hazmat situation that lasted until 5 a.m. Thursday.
It was the largest decontamination effort in the history of the school district and Las Vegas fire department.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says the cleanup effort has yielded more than a quarter cup of the element.
Officials say the campus has been fully decontaminated though they’re still investigating how the mercury got to the school.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.