LAS VEGAS (AP) — Police and fire officials reported no injuries and no homes damaged after a fire fueled by escaping natural gas from a damaged underground conduit in a northwest Las Vegas residential neighborhood.
Las Vegas firefighters were called about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday after a backhoe operator digging in the street clipped an underground gas line on Redwood Grove Avenue. That’s near Far Hills Avenue and the 215 Beltway.
Southwest Gas Co. spokeswoman Sonia Headen says about 30 homes were evacuated, and nearby Bonner Elementary School was used as a shelter.
The fire burned until almost 2 p.m.
Headen says about 2,000 customers may be without gas service for an unspecified time until the damaged line is repaired.
She says company workers will go house-to-house to relight pilot lights when service is restored.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.