Listen Online - Listen on Mobile | Mobile App Info

Details Emerge on Veteran Linked to Dallas Sniper Shootings

DALLAS (AP) — Micah Xavier Johnson was known by his family and neighbors as an “Army strong” veteran who served in Afghanistan and loved playground basketball back home in suburban Dallas.

He’s now known more widely as the 25-year-old armed suspect killed Friday just hours after five police officers were fatally shot and seven wounded after a downtown demonstration.

Johnson was believed to have shared a two-story tan brick home in Mesquite, about 30 minutes east of Dallas, with family members. He graduated from John Horn High School in Mesquite, school district officials said.

LAS VEGAS:  LVMPD Officers Pair Up in Wake of Dallas Shootings

VEGAS REAX:  Vegas Area Leaders Join Sheriff in Prayer for Peace, Safety

POLICE AMBUSHES:  11 Deadly Ambush Attacks on U.S. Police Forces

AUDIO:  Ret. LVMPD Sgt. Tom Paige Talks Increased Police Safety Training; Heidi Harris Show, 7/8/16

DALLAS COVERAGE:  See Additional Shooting Coverage From CBS Dallas-Fort Worth

He began serving the Army in March 2009, Army officials said. Johnson was a private first class with a military occupational specialty of carpentry and masonry. Toward the end of his tenure, Johnson was deployed to Afghanistan from November 2013 and returned in July 2014. His service ended in April 2015.

On what appears to be Johnson’s Facebook page, photographs posted by someone who identified herself as a relative showed him in a U.S. Army uniform and holding an unknown object as though it were a weapon.

The relative also left a comment on his birthday in 2014 that called him “definitely Army strong” and an “entertaining, loving, understanding, not to mention handsome friend, brother (and) son.”

The shootings began shortly before 9 p.m. Thursday when, police say, an uncertain number of snipers shot and killed five police officers, wounded seven more and injured two civilians. A demonstration to protest the recent killings of black men by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and St. Paul, Minnesota, was wrapping up when gunfire erupted, police said.

Hours later, police cornered Johnson in a parking garage and began lengthy negotiations. After those failed, police used explosives delivered by a robot to “blast him out” and he died, said Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings in a Friday morning news conference.

During those waning moments of Johnson’s life, police say, he had told negotiators he was upset about recent police shootings and wanted to kill white people, particularly white officers.

Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown added in a news conference Friday that the suspect said he’d acted alone and was unaffiliated with any group, though it remains unclear whether that was the case. Brown said there were others in custody but he would not discuss the nature of those detentions. The chief added that police still didn’t know if investigators had accounted for all participants in the attack.

After Johnson was killed, a relative posted onto her Facebook page, “I keep saying its not true…my eyes hurt from crying. Y him??? And why was he downtown.” She did not respond to Facebook messages.

For several hours Friday morning, police blocked access to the home where Johnson was believed to have lived in Mesquite, a blue-collar suburb. Investigators in Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives vests were seen carrying out several bags of material.

Just before noon Friday, officers stopped blocking the street in Mesquite. After that, no one answered a knock on the door.

Nearby, Israel Cooper said Johnson went by the name Xavier. Cooper says Johnson had a “cool vibe” and wasn’t really political but did seem educated.

He says he played basketball with him at a park near the house. He says, “He would be out there for eight hours. Like it was his job. Just hoopin’.”

Cooper said that when he heard the suspect was Johnson, he “was in disbelief because he’s just not like a violent or rough dude.”

“So I was, ‘nah, it’s probably another Xavier somewhere, you know,’ ” Cooper said. “But then, with pictures on the internet and stuff, I’m like ‘OK.’ ”

Cooper added: “It’s the quiet ones that just do the most devastating stuff. You never see it coming. But then it’s more expected, like ‘I should have known.'”

Thursday night’s shootings left four Dallas police officers and one DART officer dead.

Dallas Area Rapid Transit officials said early Friday morning that 43-year-old officer Brent Thompson was killed in the Thursday night shootings. He’d joined the DART Police Department in 2009.

DART says he’s the first officer killed in the line of duty since the agency formed a police department in 1989. The statement says “our hearts are broken.”

DART officials identified the agency’s three wounded personnel as 44-year-old Officer Omar Cannon, 32-year-old Officer Misty McBride and 39-year-old Officer Jesus Retana. DART spokesman Morgan Lyons did not release details of the injuries, but said all three should recover.

President Barack Obama says America is “horrified” over the shootings of police officers and there’s no possible justification for the attacks.

Obama was speaking from Warsaw, Poland, where he’s meeting with leaders of the European Union and attending a NATO summit.

Obama says justice will be done and he’s asking all Americans to pray for the fallen officers and their families. He also says the nation should express its gratitude to those serving in law enforcement.

Obama said earlier there was no contradiction between supporting law enforcement and making certain biases in the justice system are rooted out.


One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

Get Started
Introducing Your New Podcast Network

Listen Live