PEORIA, Ariz. (CBS Las Vegas) – A mother is claiming that energy drinks contributed to her daughter suffering a fatal heart attack.

Lanna Hamann was on vacation in Rocky Point, Mexico, with some friends when she died suddenly from a heart attack. Her mother, Kris Hamann, said that her 16-year-old daughter had been drinking energy drinks while on the beach. Her friends told the mother that Lanna had not been drinking any water.

The teenager complained to her friend’s father that she did not feel well Saturday evening. She soon went into cardiac arrest and died.

“Obviously, this is something that could have happened anywhere, whether she was in Mexico or whether she was here in Arizona playing softball,” Kris Hamann told KPHO. “(Parents should) make sure they’re watching their kids. (Watch) what they’re drinking and (make sure) they’re drinking water instead of an energy drink.”

Lanna’s friends gathered to remember her Sunday at Sunrise Mountain High School. Her mother will travel to Mexico to sign the death certificate and retrieve the body.

The U.S.-based mortuary the family is using was not able to bring Lanna’s body back to the United States due to complications with her birth certificate. Her mother said the total cost has exceeded $13,000.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live