(LAS VEGAS, KXNT)–Six people were treated at hospitals after a morning fire on Wengert Avenue, near Eastern and Charleston, rousted a family of five. A neighbor was hospitalized for minor smoke inhalation.

The family is lucky to be alive, according to Tim Szymanski, public information officer for the Las Vegas Fire and Rescue.

The family told firefighters there had been electrical problems in the house for months. Investigators ruled the fire accidental, but believe it was electrical in nature. Damages were estimated at $125,000.

Firefighters had to force entry through the front door of the house, which had bars and a padlock and chain. Firefighters found the fire to be confined to the attic area. They brought it under control quickly but ceilings and debris fell into the home.

Fire investigators believe the fire started in the attic area around a new air conditioner that is mounted on the roof of the house.  The air conditioner was installed just a month ago.  Circuit breakers would shut off and appliances would get very hot when used.

There were no smoke alarms in the house.  Paramedics said that all of the occupants of the house had elevated levels of carbon monoxide which is common during a fire and posed a threat.

A news release from Fire and Rescue states that electrical fires is the second leading cause of fires in Las Vegas and causes more damage than all other types of fires combined.



Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live