Henderson Police Killing Gets Review
(LAS VEGAS, KXNT)–A fact-finding review commenced Friday into the August 2013 police shooting of a 63 year old man who inexplicably opened fire on a police car.
Moments later, Edward Sheboth was dead, killed by a shot to the head from one of three Henderson police officers.
It was the only officer-involved shooting in the city in all of 2013.
The review heard audio of a police officer telling dispatchers that a man was approaching her car and firing at it with a gun. Unable to reach her own weapon to return fire, the officer sped away from danger, although the vehicle had been struck several times.
Moments later three other officers arrived and exchanged gunfire with Sheboth. Detective chad Mitchell told the review that 7 shell casings from police weapons were later recovered. Sheboth was armed with three pistols and numerous magazines strapped to his waist. There was a rifle mounted on his motorcycle nearby, chambered and ready to fire, said Mitchell.
An Ombudsman questioned Mitchell about the time it took before paramedics were summoned and before medical treatment was administered to Sheboth, who was pronounced dead later at Sunrise Hospital. The call went out, said Mitchell ,within moments, and paramedics arrived no longer than it took to drive there. Mitchell said police tried to administer medical help to Sheboth, but were helpless in dealing with a head wound.
The ombudsman also questioned Mitchell about any admonishment that may have been given to the three officers involved in the shooting to not speak to anyone about it until they were interviewed. Mitchell did not know if the customary admonishment was given to these officers. Police interviewed the trio 2 days later, also customary, and did not know if any of the officers had spoken to lawyers or their police union in the interim, which they are permitted to do.