LAS VEGAS (AP) — North Las Vegas administrators are finishing a tentative budget to submit to the Nevada Department of Taxation in a bid to avoid a state takeover of city finances and services.
City spokesman Mitch Fox said Tuesday that city officials were finalizing a spending plan after reaching tentative agreements last week with key employee unions to overcome a projected budget deficit of nearly $18 million.
Taxation officials say that under state law, cities need to have their proposed balanced budgets postmarked Tuesday.
Fox says the North Las Vegas budget total is still being worked out.
Last year, the overall city budget was just under $433 million, including $282 million in general fund spending.
A state takeover could lead to large tax increases.
A City Council ratification vote is set May 21.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.