PROVO, Utah (AP) — A 54-year-old woman has been hospitalized with burns and possible smoke inhalation after a gas explosion blew the walls and roof off her home Sunday afternoon, Provo fire officials said.

Capt. Dean York said neighbors pulled the woman, who uses a wheelchair, from her home at 1200 East and 500 South shortly after the explosion around noon.

The woman has first- and second-degree burns to her arms and back but was conscious when emergency crews arrived minutes later, York said.

A dog was rescued from the home with singed fur.

York said fire crews believe additional pets may have been inside, but no other people were in the home.

The woman, whose identity was not immediately released, told rescuers she had been having trouble with her gas-burning oven and was cooking with it shortly before the explosion.

York said she had been stabilized but did not have an update on her condition. She was listed in serious condition at a hospital late Sunday, The Daily Herald of Provo reported.

The blast blew four walls and the roof off the two-story home and caused a fire, York said.

“I don’t know how she survived the blast, to be honest with you,” he said.

The home, which is about 1,800 square feet, was severely damaged, except for a basement.

Parts of the walls and roof landed on neighboring homes. Those homes were slightly damaged, but no one will be displaced, he said.

York said gas has been shut off to the home, and investigators were on the property.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Listen Live