(Las Vegas, NV) — Opening statements are scheduled Monday morning in a lawsuit against the maker of the diabetes drug Actos.
Two Las Vegas Valley women in their 80’s allege the maker, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, failed to highlight the risk of bladder cancer.
According to court documents, both women developed bladder cancer in 2012. One had been taking Actos for about two years, the other for about 14 months.
Attorney Robert Eglet, who represents one of the women, says he’ll seek a multi-billion dollar judgement, which would be the largest in Nevada history.
The trial is expected to last between eight and ten weeks.
The Japanese maker of Actos says it’s “committed to patient safety and is confident” in the drug’s “therapeutic benefits”.