News

High School Evacuated After Drapes Catch Fire

View Comments
A Utah elementary school teacher who was carrying a concealed firearm at work accidentally shot herself in the leg when the weapon discharged in a faculty bathroom shortly before class Thursday morning, officials said. File photo of a classroom. (credit: KAZUHIRO NOGI/AFP/Getty Images)

A Utah elementary school teacher who was carrying a concealed firearm at work accidentally shot herself in the leg when the weapon discharged in a faculty bathroom shortly before class Thursday morning, officials said. File photo of a classroom. (credit: KAZUHIRO NOGI/AFP/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. (AP) — Smoldering drapes in the auditorium caused a North Las Vegas high school to be evacuated Monday morning.

Firefighters responded to haze and smoke at Rancho High School around 11 a.m. and evacuated the school. Students were allowed back in about an hour later.

Tim Szymanski of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue says there were no injuries, but damage is estimated at $100,000.

Szymanski says the smoldering could have been caused by a stage light touching the curtains. The burned drapery was removed from the stage.

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,079 other followers