Listen Online - Listen on Mobile | Mobile App Info

Careless Smoking, Oxygen Blamed For Vegas Fire

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Fire investigators say an elderly Las Vegas man is lucky to be alive after another nearly fatal fire started by the deadly combination of careless smoking and medical oxygen.

The man who suffered severe smoke inhalation was rescued by neighbors who pulled him from a burning couch in his apartment near downtown about 8 p.m. Friday.

He told paramedics he turned off his medical oxygen, started to smoke a cigarette then apparently fell asleep. The heat from the burning sofa woke him.

A Las Vegas man died in an April house fire after his cigarette sparked flames fueled by his oxygen tank.

Careless smoking also was blamed for fires that killed two women — one at a Vegas condo on Wednesday and one at a senior living center last month.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

Get Started
Introducing Your New Podcast Network

Listen Live