Listen Online - Listen on Mobile | Mobile App Info

Man Killed In Fire Sparked By Oxygen Tank

LAS VEGAS (AP/KXNT) — A Las Vegas man has died in a small house fire after authorities say his cigarette sparked the blaze fueled by his oxygen tank.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski tells KXNT it’s the city’s third fire fatality this year.  All three have involved a person in their late 60s dying in accidents caused by careless smoking.

He says a woman returned from work about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday to find her husband dead on the floor.

Szymanski says he’d been smoking while using his medical oxygen tank when it caught fire. The flames apparently signed his lungs, causing him to suffocate.

The man’s name has not been released. The fire was ruled accidental and did not cause any damage to the home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

Get Started
Introducing Your New Podcast Network

Listen Live