Listen Online - Listen on Mobile Radio.com | Mobile App Info

Squatter Starts Vacant House Fire

(Las Vegas, NV) — Fire officials say a blaze broke out in a vacant house in Las Vegas where a squatter was stealing electricity from neighbors.

No one was injured, but the blaze caused extensive damage.

Firefighters arrived Thursday morning at 5404 Rock Creek Lane and found heavy flames in the garage. Police say they have responded to other complaints at the house over the past four months.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski said garden hoses and electrical cords were running from the house to neighboring homes. Neighbors told authorities the house was in foreclosure, and there was a for sale sign in front of the home.

Szymanski said house fires caused by squatters are common in foreclosed Las Vegas homes. They are usually accidental fires caused by cooking attempts or cigarettes.

Damage was estimated at $125,000.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

Get Started
Introducing Your New Podcast Network Play.it

Listen Live