Listen Online - Listen on Mobile Radio.com | Mobile App Info

BYU Student Scolded For Outfit In Secret Note On Valentine’s Day

PROVO, Utah (CBS Las Vegas) – Brigham Young University student Brittany Molina wanted to dress the part on Valentine’s Day by donning a feminine, floral outfit – consisting of a dress, tights, boots and a sweater – that left only her hands, neck and face exposed.

That was still too much for at least one of her classmates, however, as she was the recipient of a secret note reprimanding her for her apparent wardrobe malfunction.

Molina posted on her Twitter account about the reported incident yesterday.

“So this boy came up to me … I thought he was giving me a love note,” she stated. “Turns out…”

At the end of the message, she included a picture of the note (posted below), which tells her that her outfit may have a negative effect on the men and women attending class around her.

“Many people come to this University because they feel safe, morally as well as physically, here,” the note reads. “They expect others to abide by the Honor code that we all agreed on.”

The note concludes by asking her to “consider [her] commitment” to that Honor code when selecting her clothing every morning.

Molina attempted to mollify the situation with humor to her followers.

“You could see my hands,” she jokingly Tweeted. “And I had leggings so my knees were pretty revealing.”

Attempts made by CBS Las Vegas to contact Molina were not immediately answered.

note BYU Student Scolded For Outfit In Secret Note On Valentine’s Day

A screen grab of the note Brittany Molina received about her outfit on Valentine's Day (Photo by Brittany Molina)

Comments

1. Nat Readerland says:

BYU is the Pharisees of old.

The Pharisaic tradition, by Jesus’ day, had developed into an array of petty rules having to do with the minutiae of the law. It had little to do with the spirit and intent of the law—and which, in fact, often violated the law

Ironically, in an attempt to ensure their law-keeping by putting a “hedge” about the law, the Pharisees were breaking the law, for God had said: “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take anything from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you”

The Pharisees placed the authority of their traditions above that of Scripture itself, thus going against the word of God.

Take head BYU…you are the Pharisee of the current day…..think about the Beard card as an example. Started because the professors hated “beatniks”.

Seriously…Jesus had a beard….

1. Aimee says:

BYU had nothing to do with this. It was only one guy who played a prank, and one girl who twittered and FB’d it to the world. Now liberal new outlets and trolls–LIKE YOU–are blowing it way out of proportion. Stopp hating and go get a life!

1. Beau Woodward says:

What do you expect from a Mormon???

2. Jared says:

Yeah seriously. Trolls waiting to pounce. You’re pathetic!

3. Jordon says:

I agree with Nat. Not a hater…just an alumnae who experienced over-zealous (read definition of zealot) students who misinterpret the GOSPEL.

4. DFLIGHT says:

BYU is a great school for education , and yes, in order to go you have to follow all their rules. This is about Mormon Culture and not Mormon Doctrine. BYU has these rules in place to promote high morel values. But Self Righteous, Holier than thou type students, teacher, church leaders sure make it hard to be a ‘ True Christian’. Mormon culture is evil and hypocritical of the true teaching of the church. This article is just an example of how stupid and ridiculous some people are about the ‘spirit’ of the law vs. the ‘letter of the law’…

1. Jordon says:

Well said DFLIGHT.

2. Jenny says:

What is so wrong about a guy telling her that she is dressed immodestly? Hey DFLIGHT do you attend the school? You talk of mormon culture like you live it. The fact is, the standard of the school says leggings do not count as pants, and skirts need to be at the knees. She signs an endorsement every year saying she will abide by that. That guy is telling her she isn’t abiding by that endorsement. If he really wanted to do something, he could have reported her. Although I think he should have kept his nose out of it, he isn’t the one that made this viral. She decided to post this and ridicule her school.

3. Abner Hale says:

High morel values? You have the values of a small edible mushroom? Really?

4. Katie says:

You are a moron DF. You live in a fog and have no concept about anything other than what the lds has brainwashed you with since birth.

2. Carlita says:

Technically, her outfit isn’t actually modest – her dress is a foot above her knees! Leggings do not make a miniskirt modest, contrary to popular belief.

1. T.Brown says:

Maybe you need a lesson in fasion, and what constitutes a mini skirt, as well as what 12″ aka a foot is. The only way that this outfit could be any less reveling was if she were muslim wearing a Jibab.

2. Dan says:

Thank you!!! I totally agree. And that girl should have known that and not let her pride get the best of her. She didn’t’ need to get all puffed up about, just admit that she was wrong. We have been told that leggings does not make a dress modest. And to other comments, BYU students are supposed to adhere to the standards. Just because there are others that don’t doesn’t make it okay for everyone else to. If you don’t want to go to a school that has an Honor Code like that, then simply don’t choose to go that school.

3. Tina says:

Thats like 4 inches above her knee!!!

4. DFLIGHT says:

If you have sexually explicit thoughts because of they way she is dressed, that’s your fault, she is covered up and her cloths are not skin tight….your just jealous that you don’t look as pretty as she does!!!!

1. gfy says:

I agree with DFLIGHT. she looks great!

5. Abner Hale says:

Maybe you should see someone about that great big stick you have up your ass.

6. Mike says:

Leggings used to be okay 20 years ago. I guess things have changed.

7. Tom says:

technically, you are an idiot. She isn’t wearing a miniskirt.

8. gfy says:

WOW REALLY? Back to the potatoe dresses and fundamentalist hair for you then, right?

3. Chuck Schulz says:

oh my gosh you people are such chumps. No one at BYU dresses like this girl. She’s dressing way more conservatively than BYU women do. Dollars to donuts the note was a joke. Give me an f—n break. As a BYU grad I can tell you that this is complete bunk.

4. SP says:

Brittany Molina chose to go to a very conservative college, and as the note passer wrote, signed an honor code about how she would clothe herself. Nobody forced her to go there or sign that. We are not seeing all of the outfits she has been wearing on campus that prompted this note. She could have chosen to exercise some grace, humility, and self-control as her religion of choice advises, instead of taking offense and painting herself as a victim.

It takes a lot for someone to take the time to write and pass a note like that in person. A lot more than it takes for someone to hop on twitter and get instant sympathy from their “followers” and the world at large who will easily scoff at the principles of a conservative institution. That move demonstrates her own ego issues, lack of of self-control and lack of respect and loyalty to the college she chose to attend.

The note passer, and the implied others behind the writing of the note, were obviously trying to be as non-confrontational as possible without ignoring the issue. If she doesn’t like considering how she dresses will affect others at a college that values conservative dressing, then go to a secular school. It’s the same as if you don’t like having your privacy violated on Facebook, then don’t be on Facebook. There’s rules everywhere. Either choose to follow them, assume the consequences or leave.

1. Tina says:

The point to me is if this even is bad dress code then someone needs to do serious reconstruction on the dress code at BYU. I live here and I see the women on BYU campus. This girl was dressed very modestly compaired to other women wearing stuff so tight your boobs litterally pretrude from your body in a way no man is having modest thoughts about. This girl shows nothing except hands and face and her dress and sweater are baggy. If this is not modest then tell all the boob job twins at BYU they can’t attend either!

1. Bizumii says:

I have to agree with Tina. I went to BYU and graduated. There are so many girls at that campus that wear much worse stuff than she is wearing. I can’t tell you how much cleavage I saw while there. Both boobs and butt!

I can also can see that other side of this argument. There are also too many self righteous pricks that go to BYU, regardless of the honor code. Yes, the honor code is strict, but take a chill pill. My Hell! Its bad enough having to live by all the rules that campus has. I only stayed there because of the program I was in was one of the best, but that place is for sure a place of hypocrisy in both directions: self righteous pricks, and those that push the limits.

5. P_Wich says:

How is everyone missing the obvious satire here? The note was a joke, get a grip people. A couple of guys, condemned to study on Valentine’s Day, thought up a good prank to pass the time… I can’t believe how fast the media picked this up. You’d think that in the age of Stewart and Colbert people would recognize a bit of satire…

1. Heather says:

Seriously, it’s sad that people can’t take a joke. A bad joke, but still a joke.

2. Jordon says:

I think it’s just as presumptive to assume it’s a joke, as it is to assume it was serious. Responders likely don’t know for sure; however, I don’t doubt that some poor kid who was “having naughty thoughts” about someone he was attracted to, tried to pass the blame onto her. I’ve seen it happen too many times. I’ve also seen and experienced unnecessary scrutiny while on that campus. (i.e. not being allowed to check out a book at the library because my face had a day’s growth of stubble), or being told by the person who wouldnt’ let me into the freshman dorm student cafeteria because I was wearing flip flops since my ankle and foot hair “was an extension of my pubic hair”. (No joke…that really happened–granted in 1990–but still happened nonetheless).
      Most students there are good, not-too-judgmental of people just trying to live their lives in the way they feel God wants them too, BUT there are many who are extreme and like to pass on their Pharisaical attitude about rules onto others. Just sayin.

3. Tom says:

Actually… I made the mistake of being a mormon missionary many years ago… and there are MANY guys and gals out there who seriously think they are better than other people and love pointing it out. BYU has a large population of these idiots and I’m sure this guy is one of them.

1. Tom's best friend says:

Years ago I made the mistake of going to a Catholic school and there are MANY guys and gals that also attended who seriously think they are better than other people and loved pointing it out.

Notre Dame has a large populations of these idiots and I’m sure Tom is one of them There seems to be a common sense deficit in this forum and in the Baptist, no wait … Catholic, no … uh Methodists …. no wait , its those darn Mormons, Right???.

Name me one place, state, city, school, church, or group of people that there are going to be a few idiots that make it seem like everyone is that way. Try to open your minds just a little bit so you’re at least able to see through a key hole with both eyes at the same time.

Come on peeps …. How about we start bashin some public figure just because of there outlook on Jay Leno vs. David Letterman … Big Mac vs. Whooper … Obama vs.uhhhh R ick or Mitt … whoops … not Mitt … he’s one of those terrible Mormons … and there we are full circle … hakuna matata.

2. reasonable says:

TOM”S BEST FRIEND

You get the grand prize for the very best post on this article. I’m not joking. You are the ONLY one who sees things how they really are. People are people and people make mistakes. Whether he was serious or joking, he made a mistake because now everybody is either defending or lambasting someone. This whole thing is SOOOOOOO much smaller than anyone here is making it. In fact, it shouldn’t even be news but here we all are paying attention.

6. Sara says:

Leggings are not pants and they do not make a skirt modest. The Honor Code has been trying to get us to realize more a long time now…Just saying…for ecclesiastical endorsement you have to review the honor code and they state that in the quiz you take. He is right.

7. T.Brown says:

1. Hameed says:

Whoa, lighten up there. This was just a prank. No need to go overboard with the religious overtones. Now stop trolling before you hurt yourself.

8. Jenn says:

Sounds like that boy was effected in his loins. For shame Brother…For SHAME!

9. Sara says:

That boy needs to get himself under control. If he’s aroused by what she’s wearing, he must have a horrible time in the real world.

10. Bluebet says:

Oh, she is SO gonna get in trouble with the school! BYU doesn’t like it when you draw negative attention. She’s gonna get a talking to, no doubt. Also, it’s getting WAY more conservative than when I attended! And it was pretty darn conservative then. While I don’t at all agree with the honor code, and I think that guy is a tool for handing her that note, she does appear not be in line with the totally lame dress code that she agreed to abide by when she signed up to go to the school…lesson here? Don’t go to a conservative school if you want to be yourself and enjoy life.

1. Tom says:

Actually I would argue that she is not in violation of anything. You have to consider the combination of cloths she is wearing. An example…. no tank tops allowed…. but if you are wearing a tank top with a sweater over it…. or a shirt under it… then what is the problem? Her skin is covered, her cloths are not revealing, and that is the reason that the guy who gave her the note is a chump… and there seems to be a common sense deficit in this forum and in the mormon church.

11. Tianna says:

Hey Dude, its not her fault you cant contain your erection and pay attention in class. Get over it! Go beat off in the bathroom and go on with your day.

12. Bill says:

Everyday I want to transfer out of this school… This article only makes my wish stronger. F-ing legalistic and hypocritical.

1. Hercules says:

So go then. Leave. No one is stopping you. There thousands of young students who would love to have your spot. So qui whining and just leave and make room for the people who really want to be there. Also, this was only a joke, a prank. It wasn’t serious.

1. Bill says:

I am, actually. I’m applying to Cornell and the U. Wish me luck.

2. Bill says:

I just wish that BYU hadn’t deceived me when I was making my college decision. I was such an idiot.

3. Acacia says:

I’m with Hercules here…

4. Athena says:

I also agree with Hercules. I hope neither of those colleges deceive you either Bill. And i hope you’re never disappointed again. Ever.

13. Deb says:

I don’t think so! I went to BYU and her outfit wouldn’t be thought of twice. Its to bad this guy is anal but what I really think is happening is the Liberal Media trying to paint Mitt Romney wired for his faith. It is a strategy the Obama camp said they planned to use months ago. If it works I’ll be very disappointed to say the least.

1. Nicole says:

That is an idiotic theory. There are actually Mormons who belong to the democratic party too. BYU is consistently on academic probation for refusing to teach information required for a well rounded education. This either satirical or not is just a ripple in the wake of that horrendous ‘university’ and it’s honor code.

14. Justin says:

What an idiot! I feel bad for the girl

1. Mary says:

Thank you! This is really the only comment that should have been made after this article….

15. LindaOz says:

I was suspended from a private school for not having a high enough hemline, even though I wore tights underneath. My legs were so long that they did not make dresses that went below my knee. That was in ***1966*** !!!

If you were brainwashed into believing that the human body is something to be ashamed of, God help you!

1. Bree says:

I don’t think the human body is something to be ashamed of at all. That does not, however, mean I want to see all of yours. I think what she’s wearing is fine, however, claiming someone is “brainwashed” for expecting other people to dress appropriately is rather extreme, don’t you think?

16. Jack says:

It’s called the garment of the holy priesthood, not “magic underwear,” and it’s piece of sacred clothing. No need to be immature.

1. Mike says:

You’re obviously smart enough to read and write so there is no way you actually “believe” in magic skivvies

2. Jenny says:

Sweetie, the garments are something sacred to us and for us it’s not unnecessary. You say you have humor, but all I see is sarcasm and disdain. And don’t lie, because I know that you say it’s humor, but your language in your writing says otherwise.

3. Ann says:

Your comments are very narrow minded. I have travelled around the world and there are many religions whose people wear articles of clothing that are different or unusual. Why do you feel the need to mock one’s religious beliefs or clothing. I would suggest you broaden your horizons and learn about all cultures instead of just concentrating on bashing one.

17. Cammie says:

Exactly! The boy was ashamed of HIMSELF for the “Funny feeling” it gave him in his pants. She looked fine. MODEST even. I’m tired of (some, not all) Mormons and their “Holier then thou attitude.” Anyone up for some protest? Lets burn some Books of Mormon. Shove YOUR beliefs in out faces? Hey, back at ya.

1. Ann says:

One of the things that continually amazes me in this world is people’s perception of standards. If one has standards that they attempt to live by there are always those who love to accuse them of having a “holier than thou attitude”. In my opinion, morality is nothing to be ashamed of. The world needs a healthy dose of it. I am not Mormon, but I do believe that if one chooses to attend a university that has a dress code, the student should honor that code, not alter it with leggings. If one has a problem with the code, then they should seek their educational opportunites elsewhere.
      As for your other comments, all they do is show your ignorance. I mean really, should we as a society seriously listen to someone who rants and raves and threatens destruction to religious books. Next time, if you really want to be taken seriously, present your view in a manner that adds credibility to your opinion, not personal hatred.

1. Tom says:

u sure sound like a mormon… lol…. and a holier than thou attitude to boot!

2. Beth says:

Thank you Ann! Thank you for showing some actual maturity. I agree with your comments.

3. reasonable says:

Ann you’re awesome.

18. Acacia says:

Maybe her outfit is fine to you. But I think it’s important to note that the writer of the note was not mean or nasty about it. It is true that she was violating the Honor Code which doesn’t allow leggings if they “are not covered by clothes (dresses, shorts and skirts which cover the knees or lower.)” Since her dress did not cover her knees, she WAS violating the Honor Code. It’s true–you don’t have to agree with the Honor Code, but she did sign it and agree to live by it. She CHOSE it. The note most likely was not the best way to approach the issue. I attend BYU currently and I know it is common for outfits like this to appear on campus. I don’t think the fashion should be supported just because ‘everyone is doing it,’ which is the worst reasoning I’ve ever heard. Anyway, if leggings are considered “modest” because they technically don’t allow you to see her skin, does that make a skin-tight suit of spandex “modest”? Of course not.

1. Bill says:

At the same time you can totally see some people complaining about her dress at BYU.

1. Acacia says:

Of course. It is against the honor code, isn’t it? There is this thing when you sign your name to a system of honor… you should keep your word and live by it. It’s not just part of a process to get a degree; it’s a lifestyle. You go to BYU to live that way–don’t go if you don’t want to. No one is forcing you.

2. BILLY says:

i would fit you and that perverted over-zealous boy in the same category my word! its people like you and that make it so irritating to go to school wwhere already some of the rules are petty and beyond stupid

1. Ann says:

Then I guess Billy, the only option you have is to attend a school that doesn’t have rules that are “petty and stupid”. There are plenty of them out there….
        If one chooses to attend a school that has a dress code, then there is nothing wrong with other students defending the policy. That could be one of the reasons they chose to attend the university in the first place.
        Believe it or not, there are some people who actually go to college to learn. If it is easier for them to concentrate on their studies without the distractions of personal clothing choices, then that is their right.
        There are plenty of campuses where one can choose their attire, whatever that might be. According to my research, BYU isn’t one of them. Anyone that has a problem with that, including the young woman who took offense to the note, should not subject themselves to rules they are unable to believe in and follow. It is as simple as that.

19. CB says:

Read P Wich. Right on. CBS desperate for news? Look how quick people are to find fault on a bogus issue or the young lady is looking for attention or to do damage to a great university???

20. Sally Hansen says:

Maybe the note was not referring to her outfit that particular day. Maybe it is referring to how she dresses in general, which isn’t being shown.

21. Crystal says:

This article is a hoax. Yes, there is a honor code at BYU but this woman’s outfit is perfectly fine. Grow up.

1. Sara says:

Actually it is not in harmony with the honor code. Our skirts are to be to our knees, with or without leggings. There a many girls at the university that do not understand that. ALSO, they fail to understand that leggings are not pants and neither are jeggings. Her outfit is against the honor code. Anyone who gets their ecclesiastical endorsement renewed should know that and abide by it. We are supposed to encourage others around us to follow the honor code. Her reaction shows that she doesn’t understand the honor code that she said she would live by. So no, her outfit isn’t fine.

22. Vickie says:

Just my opinion here but….There is nothing immodest about the outfit. I have seen similar outfits in church. If the note was a joke then you have a strange sense of humor attacking someone in the name of a joke. Finally is this really that newsworthy when we still have men and women fighting to perseve freedom and liberties to be able to make the choice of what to wear and express our opinions. Get real people

1. Acacia says:

Right. I’d actually like to write to the person who took the time to write it and publish and ask “Why?” It’s a botched attempt to injure BYU, or a bad joke. Neither of which deserves this much attention.

2. Crystal says:

at church i’ve seen a girl who was 13 that had her dress above fingertip length.
      so i think people need to realize how difficult it is to find modest clothing, & everything what she’s wearing is modest.
      her boobs are falling out.
      her skirt is BARELY above her knees.
      i totally agree with you vickie.

23. Angela says:

I am a BYU student. The Honor Code states that skirts must reach your knee, no matter what you’re wearing underneath. My husband’s on-campus work made a video with a girl wearing jeans under a too-short skirt and BYU wouldn’t let it be shown. The jeans bit is silly, yes, but since leggings are not pants (Pres. Samuelson gave a devotional [campus speech] about this a few years ago) since they are too form-fitting, they’re worse. Yes, many girls wear pants that are too tight, but that doesn’t excuse leggings – that just means those girls need to buy their proper size next time. While her skirt does need to be longer (according to the Honor Code and the modesty standards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns BYU), that guy was totally out of line in the way he dealt with it. Sinful, even. So was her mother (if rumors that she called the news to tattle and complain are accurate) – how petty.

1. Dave says:

Going to BYU sounds like dealing with a bunch of 14 year olds who have no idea what life is like in the real world.

1. LindaOz says:

Maybe it’s peer pressure in this area.

24. LindaOz says:

Those who wonder why media would cover this story need to ask themselves why they read it. ;o)

1. Vern says:

I did because I kept waiting to see when the “news” portion would start. Or how it any way tied to Las Vegas.

25. LindaOz says:

What are girls whose legs are too long to have any dress hit below the knee supposed to do? Have their legs shortened?

1. Bree says:

Any dress? Are we serious right now? You do realize that dress makers make skirts of all lengths, right? Unless there’s a woman running around with six foot long legs, I’m sure, somewhere, there’s a dress that will cover them.

26. Christopher Bowen says:

She is as cute as a button!

27. btruth says:

I’m betting that it was most likely a muslim cultist. They usually are very timid & simple minded, with brains like soft moldable clay. Much like the average sheeple.

28. Tina says:

29. Vern says:

Why is this news? Even more specifically, why is this news for CBS Las Vegas? This wasn’t a school note. This was a note from one student to another. BREAKING NEWS!! You may run into idiots during your life. A homeless man called me fat when I was walking down the street? Will that be on the 9 o’clock news?

1. Shan says:

Totally agree! and if something like this happened at any other school that isn’t LDS, it probably wouldn’t have been reported on. But then again, somehow FB content has become headlines a lot recently… Maybe the reporters need to quit wasting on FB and Twitter and go and find some news!

30. Percival says:

Don’t you hate it when your legging fetish get revealed to the world because you wrote a stupid note? Doh!

1. j says:

DOH! more leggings!!

31. Ashley says:

I’m curious as to why this seems to be such a big deal to either side. Whether or not the kid was kidding, it’s between the two of them. If the kid who wrote the note intended to be rude, then maybe he should review that Honor Code himself. Bashing and disrespecting someone based on their religion is cruel. If your going to mock a group just because they have beliefs that differ from yours, then you can consider yourself a bully. Why don’t we all just act our age and remember, “if you don’t have anything nice to say, then just don’t say anything at all.”

32. Sandy says:

Kat, your grandfather was around in 1930? Wow, he must be really old……..

1. Sandy says:

I mean ‘1830!!!! lol

33. Gladys says:

Whether it’s a joke or not, she’s practically naked!!!!

1. Tina says:

hahahahahahahahahahaha

34. Jenny says:

Did anyone even ask the question of, what if this wasn’t an anger letter? What if the guy was just uncomfortable about the way she was dressed? I can tell you now as someone from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints that wearing leggings under a skirt is not seen as modest. There are no magic leggings that stretch your hemline down to your knees. The honor code rules are plain and simple, you wear your skirts to your knees. If this girl has a problem with what this guy said, then she should switch schools. He was in-forcing the honor code that she violated, and to get him back she went viral. I don’t have any sympathy for her at all, its her choice to dress the way she does, and she shouldn’t be offended if another person doesn’t like it.

1. BILLY says:

wow arent you narrow minded,so jenny what would Jesus do?,your comments were anything but christ-like,sounds like this guy is your type lol

1. Jenny says:

Why are you bringing my beliefs into this? The point I was trying to make was that she is under an agreement to dress by the standards that are in place at the school. I am defending myself, because I actually do go to that school and do wear garments. You think I am narrow minded, but all everyone is seeing is that BYU sucks or she is being treated unfairly. Every year, as students we sign an endorsement saying we will uphold the standards. Part of that standard says that leggings are not a substitute for pants and all skirts should be worn at the knees. I can see why for people outside our faith to see that as rigid, but for us its not. Since BYU is a private school, they can set any standard they want, and when the students sign that endorsement saying they will abide by that standard, they are making a promise. I am someone that values people who keep their word.

I am also someone that wears garments. These are sacred to me, and if you look at the comments above, how can I not respond? I am not saying this girl is a sinner, I am just saying as someone of this faith and who attends this school, I understand the standards placed before me. I am sorry if my comment sounded narrow minded, but I am just standing up for something sacred to me. I don’t think the way that boy approached it was good by any means, but he has the right to tell her he is uncomfortable. It’s up to her how she takes it, but people stating comments about how unfair the standards are, they are just plain stupid. Every student is aware of what they sign, they read the honor code and sign it every year. Please don’t say I am un-christlike when I am just defending the students I attend school with, and my friends who have also faced this same discomfort on campus.

2. John Bergstrom says:

BYU & Utah County: a combination of ‘The Stepford Wives’ and Nazi Germany.

For your own sanity, stay in Salt Lake City….

1. Jenny says:

I am German, and my grandfather was in Nazi Germany at the time. You should watch what you say.

35. Mark says:

I am both a proud Mormon and a BYU fan, but that guy who wrote the note is being ridiculous. I’m against bullying (since I was bullied a lot as a kid) but I’d have a hard time not bullying that dweeb.

36. Garratt says:

This is why I can’t stand BYU. Rather the note is a prank or not doesn’t eliminate this paranoid attitude at BYU from the administration on down to the students.

Oh no, so and so has a beard, so and so has a tattoo, so and so has an earring, so and so’s shorts/skirt are to short, so and so has hair over the ear, and on and on. There is no honor in this thinking. Honor code? Give the world a break from paranoia and censorship.

Trying to draw a line on everything becomes so subjective that it offends people needlessly.

You want paranoid, try posting on the Desnews. People can be brainless and rude in their comments so long as they share the papers opinion. However try and make a strong opinion to the contrary and you are denied. It doesn’t matter if your thoughts are well thought out, avoid personal attacks, and are free of swear words. you get often get denied.

1. Rick says:

Let’s see–the entire BYU community is paranoid, the Deseret News conspires against those who don’t agree with it–who’s paranoid? I have been involved with BYU, and a number of other institutions for decades. People there are no more paranoid than they are anywhere else.

37. Dr. J says:

This is news??? Who cares?? Sounds like a joke anyway

38. sprao says:

I don’t believe that BYU is so backward and outdated.. I am sure that are good and this is just a joke on the TROLLS who think BYU made their day of comments with this stuff.. Clever girl and clever guy..

39. Bill says:

Why was the note printed? Looks like a girl style font. Does anyone know how to write any more? Sad that todays youth can only print.

40. Rick says:

This made news, if fit was news and not a joke, because it is an exception, not the norm. The reason this girl was surprised is because this rarely happens at BYU. If it was not a joke, was the notewriter overzelous? I think so. But it would REALLY be news if in any body of 30,000 people there weren’t a few overzealous people.

41. BYU Grad 82 says:

With closer inspection the note looks like it was written by a first grader. Someone who is all concerned about follow the rules to the strictest letter of the law.

I remember another incident when I was there a girl took off her jeans to take a test because the testing center wouldn’t let her in to take the test with them on because she violated the code. That hit the Associated Press big time. BYU asks for this over and over again. Eventually you get out into the real world. Not just where the campus is your world.

42. Crystal says:

I’m Mormon. I think she looks beautiful (:
    I’d wear that & I’ve seen LDS girls who have worn waaaay more revealing clothing than her. So that guy 1, should be focused on his studys insted of checking her out because she’s wearing a dress (heck, she probably wears it to church) and 2, he’s going to have a hard time finding a wife that wears turtle necks, and long pants during the summers!
    also, reason why i’m going to UNLV next year and not BYU. I’ll wear what I want. Just because some guy think it’s not “up to our standards” doesn’t mean he’s right.

43. HiDavid says:

As a man thinks so is he . All judgement should be tempered with humility.We are all gods children and he has no favorites let us remember the first and great commandment and the second also. May we learn to look upon others with the same compassion and mercy as we would hope to have extended toward us. I have not had the privilege of attending that great University B.Y.U. But I know that we all have better things to do then to waste our time contending over such shall maters as these. We need to always remember from the spirit of contention is of the devil and only by pride comes contention. For better things to do look unto Matthew 25;40 ” and the king shall say unto those on his right hand inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these my Brothern ye have done it unto me” . P.S. Forgive my errs for I am far from perfect

44. Joe says:

She clearly should have went to the U!

1. BILLY says:

LAME ASS COMMENT

45. infidel says:

Hey Brittany,

Next time some NERD sends you a “flattering” note, especially when he writes like a 2nd grader, throw it in the garbage! Got it drama queen? He’s a loser… and by the way, so are you for exploiting yourself at the first opportunity, Paris and Kim would be proud of you.

46. Lisa says:

So are we saying that this girl cannot possibly learn at school because of leggings and a dress? Wow..lets all go back to the FN stone ages!!

47. cate lynn says:

JENNY, WHY DON’T YOU SHUT UP ALREADY YOUR GIVING ME A MIGRAINE

1. Jae says:

So? stop reading. Did you say a valid opinion yet, btw?

48. N says:

Whether or not you think she looks beautiful, it doesn’t mean she is in compliance with the Honor Code. Long pants are not required–skirts/shorts just have to reach the knee (and, as others have noted, leggings are not a substitute for pants).

49. Jae says:

The thing is not this guy’s opinion, it’s the fact that she agreed to dress a certain way, that includes specifically non-skin tight clothing and all dresses to the knee.
    It’s the rules and she signed an agreement to follow them. If she doesn’t like them she and anyone else are free to go to another school. there are lots of schools very nearby with no honor code. I used to go to BYU and I got the same thing. When I went to the library they put me out because I had a sleeveless turtleneck on. I’m not mad. I just transfered eventually. Different people have different ideas of modesty, but the rules are quite specific. Don’t go to the school, get discounted tuition because you are Mormon, and then complain about being asked to follow the rules you agreed to.

1. Tom says:

The outfit was completely modest… you are missing the point. The combination of cloths was modest. The bigger point is that there are idiots going to this school who are stupid enough to write a note like the one she received… and judging by the comments on here…. he is not alone. Crazy idiots have no common sense. Obviously the staff at the school had no problem with the outfit…. so this idiot and others like him need to stop pretending to be better than the people around them and focus on their own morals and leave other people alone. I’m sure he was jerking off while thinking about her 20 minutes later. Idiot

1. Jae says:

The question is not whether it’s immodest or not in her or anyone’s opinion. Skirts above the knees are against the rules, period it’s explicitly stated. Even if she was wearing sweatpants underneath it it’s still against the rules. the staff does have a problem. if she would have gone to the library they would have kicked her out just like me. Girls have told me about things that are too form fitting, or like the sleeveless turtleneck mentioned above. Regardless of technical modesty, the rules are the rules, and BYU is an environment were people want those rules respected.

50. Jae says:

When you stop feeding trolls they go away. There is no need to respond to someone who obviously doesn’t care about the issue. To all the people with better things to do, let’s try to keep the conversation between people who have relevant input.

51. Tom says:

Just another idiot fresh off his mormon mission thinking he is better than the people around him. He is probably blaming her for his hard-on during class. Articles like this are a good reminder why anyone who has any respect for freedom should never consider going to a mormon school. Being forced to obey silly rules does not make you a moral person. Making good decisions when you aren’t forced to make them… makes you a moral person.

1. Jae says:

so who is more moral? the Girl who signed a contract and then blatantly breaks it without a second thought and has the nerve to be mad about someone reminding her of it? Or the guy who could have reported her to the honor code office or told her off in public but instead wrote her a short note to let her know that breaking the rules is not ok? The girl who chose not to make a good wardrobe decision or the guy who quietly tried to help someone uphold the honor code even when no one makes him do it? Even if she is giving a bunch of guys unwanted hard-ons, I’m sure she wouldn’t want that kind of effect either.

52. Aggie Fan says:

Here at USU we laugh at the shenanigans of that glorified high-school south of Salt Lake City. The butt joke of Utah, BJU, or is it BYU?

53. Jeremy says:

I graduated last semester and there were posters hanging up all over the school last semester showing pictures stating that wearing dark leggings and boots that come up to your knees did not follow the honor code. Your skirt needed to be below the knee line. Although I don’t think that giving the note was appropriate, if the student felt uncomfortable he should have told a teacher. Brittany was in violation of the Honor Code and she was the one who chose to apply and attend a school that she knew had a strict dress code, and she should follow it.

54. Light says:

The writer of the note is in violation of the honor code which requires reporting of violations. By trying to take the law into his own hands he commits the greater sin. I wonder if he will be resigning from the school based on his morally reprehensible failure to report the violation.

55. Mike says:

Has anyone seen or have a pis of the BUY cheer leaders? Just curious to see what they have on,,,

56. Mike says:

Has anyone seen or have a pictures of the BYU cheer leaders? Just curious to see what they have on,,,

57. your daddy says:

don’t be so fast to lump all people together. personally i have mormon friends & i find for the most part they are good decent americans!

58. Alan says:

This young might consider leaving BYU and demanding to be home-schooled by either a male, or if it’s a (GASP!) female who ends up teaching him, insist she be covered in at least three layers of burlap from toes to crown. Black burlap would be best, so he can’t accidentally make out her outline in case she should be momentarily lit from behind.
    That is the only way to keep from having such a delicate mind warped.

59. Alan says:

This young man might consider leaving BYU and demanding to be home-schooled by either a male, or if it’s a (GASP!) female who ends up teaching him, insist she be covered in at least three layers of burlap from toes to crown. Black burlap would be best, so he can’t accidentally make out her outline in case she should be momentarily lit from behind.
    That is the only way to keep from having such a delicate mind warped.

60. jo says:

I can’t believe everyone is overacting over this stupid story! How do we even know that this girl was truly wearing this outfit in the library exactly as shown in her photo? The news media outlets are un-objectively taking her story as the whole truth. How do we know that she’s even a BYU student? She’s probably some Utah County chick not smart enough to get into BYU, who doesn’t even know the honor code, and who hangs out at the library dressed to hook a future husband. By twittering her story, and allowing herself to be interviewed on Fox News, she got something even better than a husband, 15 mins. of fame, and if you watch her TV interview, you can see she’s lovin it. Hey Brittany, If you really ARE a BYU student, spend more time on school, or get outta there so someone who really wants to be there can get in. After all, every student at BYU is getting an IVY league education for less than the cost of school at Utah’s public universities, and less than half of the people who apply to the Y are able to get in. So, stop wasting our tithing money, that helps supplement your education, and get serious about BYU and it’s honor code — or hit the road, bimbo! Hopefully the next big news story, generated about you, will be about how BYU gave the boot to BrittanyJMo, the attention-seekin Ho!

1. reasonable says:

Overeacting? Look in the mirror

61. meet friends online free says:

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this publish and if I may I wish to recommend you some attention-grabbing things or advice. Maybe you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to learn even more issues about it!