SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The suspects in the killing of an elderly Utah couple and the shooting of a Nevada woman who fought off a carjacking are being held in a Nevada jail on suspicion of kidnapping, robbery and an attempted murder charge.

Elko Municipal Court officials said prosecutors are preparing formal charges against Logan McFarland, 24, and Angela Atwood, 25, both of Sanpete County, Utah.

McFarland is being held on $52,000 bail. Atwood’s bail was set higher Wednesday at $102,000 because her booking statement accuses her of shooting a West Wendover woman in the head during a botched carjacking. She was being held for attempted murder.

Elko police filed a probable cause statement linking the pair to the killing of a couple in Mount Pleasant, Utah, where authorities say their crime spree started Friday.

Both also were being held on charges of possession of a stolen vehicle — a Volkswagen Jetta that police say they wrecked driving across sagebrush country and hid under a tree south of Oasis, Nev. The pair was accused of taking the Jetta from a motel parking lot after the botched carjacking in nearby West Wendover.

“We got two very dangerous people off the street,” said West Wendover police Sgt. David Wiskerchan after the capture.

The suspects face additional charges in Utah.

With a plane circling overhead and police on the ground, McFarland and Atwood ended the manhunt by holding up their arms and surrendering without resistance. Video taken by a KSL-TV helicopter showed the capture.

Atwood requested medical help and was taken to a hospital by an ambulance before she was booked, police said.

Rancher and Elko County Commissioner Demar Dahl, also a pilot, said he knew the suspects could be in the area and kept an eye open for them Tuesday while surveying his cattle herd from the air.

“We flew and looked, and sure enough we found them,” Dahl told The Associated Press. “It was just lucky we found them.”

On Sunday, authorities issued an arrest warrant for McFarland in the burglary of the Utah couple’s Mount Pleasant home. He was charged the same day.

McFarland has a recent criminal history that includes drug and theft charges, according to the Utah state courts database. He was released Oct. 10 after spending a month in jail for a conviction of theft by receiving stolen property — a supply of copper cables. He was supposed to pay a $500 fine in monthly installments. In August, he was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia. That charge was dismissed a month later by prosecutors.

Atwood has some minor offenses listed in court records.

Her parents believe she was an unwilling participant in the crime spree, the Salt Lake Tribune reported. They reacted in joy at the news she was arrested and safe. Neighbors told the AP that the parents, Mike and Denise Atwood, immediately drove to the Elko, Nev., jail.

“I believe that Logan has held her hostage, that he has held her so scared that she hasn’t been able to do anything but follow him,” Denise Atwood told the newspaper. She said Angela Atwood was engaged to a different man, a former U.S. Marine, and Atwood’s relationship with McFarland was unclear.

No phone listing could immediately be found for McFarland’s parents.

Police said a witness told them McFarland bragged at a Friday night party about obtaining money and firearms.

Jewelry and other stolen items from the home of the Utah couple, LeRoy and Ann Fullwood, were found in the trunk of the first car the suspects took from the host of the Friday night party, police said.

The items led police in West Wendover to the Fullwoods’ home, where the couple were found shot to death Saturday.

The car was ditched about 45 miles away and a stolen Saturn sedan was allegedly used to drive to West Wendover where police say they shot and wounded a woman in an attempted carjacking. A receipt from a fast-food restaurant found in the car indicated the meal was paid for with LeRoy Fullwood’s stolen credit card, according to the warrant filed in court Tuesday.

A gray Volkswagen Jetta was then stolen from a motel parking lot. McFarland and Atwood were last seen in the car Saturday, leading police on a 50-mile chase at speeds up to 100 mph before turning off I-80 and fleeing into the hills.

In Mount Pleasant, about 100 miles south of Salt Lake City, people were locking their doors, a neighbor of the Fullwoods, Coleen Oltrogge said Tuesday.

“People are concerned, worried and upset,” Oltrogge said. “There’s lots of retired people out here in Mount Pleasant. It’s a loving and caring town. This is a real shock to everybody.”

LeRoy Fullwood, 70, a retired barber, and his 69-year-old wife, a retired schoolteacher, moved to the town a few years ago and were volunteers at a Mormon temple in nearby Manti, she said.

“They were wonderful, caring and loving,” said Oltrogge, a Mount Pleasant city council member. “We’re trying to look at any little thing that could cause this — a motive. We just don’t know.”

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS Las Vegas

CBSLocal App
Watch Live

Listen Live