News

Nevada Woman Indicted In 4-Year-Old’s Fatal Meth Overdose

View Comments
Lindquist's carelessness led to a 4-year-old's death, police say. (credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Lindquist’s carelessness led to a 4-year-old’s death, police say. (credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas) — A Nevada woman has been indicted after a Reno grand jury said her careless babysitting led to a 4-year-old’s fatal overdose on methadone.

Gina Lindquist, 50, was asked to babysit Samuel Sharber overnight so his mother and her boyfriend could entertain guests in the their room at the Vacation Motor Lodge in January 2009.

According to police, Lindquist moved her methadone prescription from a safe location on a high shelf in the bathroom to her nightstand. She told investigators that she wanted to reach it easily from her bed in the morning.

A criminal complaint filed against Lindquist said Sharber woke up while she slept and ingested some of the defendant’s methadone.

When Lindquist woke up, she saw the child blue and on the floor.

The criminal complaint adds, “As a result of her neglect, the defendant died.”

She awaits extradition this week and is being held on $50,000 cash bail at the Clark County Detention Center.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,211 other followers