News

Fireworks Spark House Fire In North Las Vegas

View Comments
(credit: Andrew Meyers/Getty Images)

(credit: Andrew Meyers/Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

North Las Vegas (CBS) – The City of North Las Vegas Fire Department responded to a garage fire in a two-story home last night. The fire was discovered and reported by multiple callers. Upon arrival at 10:55 p.m., firefighters reported heavy smoke and flames from the garage.  The firefighters forced entry through the front door of the home and confirmed that the fire was coming from the garage. The owner of the home was not in the house at the time of the fire but returned home and confirmed no occupants in the building. The owner confirmed that firework debris was allowed to cool and placed in a plastic bag in the garage.    

The North Las Vegas Fire Department had a department investigator respond to the scene. The investigator confirmed that the fire was caused due to improper disposal of firework debris. This is the third firework related fire during this holiday weekend. The fire department would like residents to know that it is not enough to let firework debris cool, the fireworks must be placed in a bucket of water to ensure that the fireworks are safe for disposal.

Unfortunately, the house suffered significant damage to vehicles in the garage, complete loss of the garage, and damage to two bedrooms in the home. The fire was determined accidental due to improper disposal of fireworks. Damages are estimated to be $125,000.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,122 other followers