For the second time in about four years, a fire has damaged a strip mall east of downtown Las Vegas. Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says the damage was mostly limited to a convenience store that was closed at the time of the fire just after 10 p.m. Sunday. Szymanski says passers-by reported smoke at the Stewart Square Shopping Center at Eastern and Stewart avenues, with nine stores affected. Szymanski says the cause was an unattended hot plate in an employee lounge. Three-alarm fire at the same shopping center destroyed seven stores in January 2007. That fire was sparked by roof workers improperly using a torch.