Thanksgiving is literally one day away. Are you ready to baste some turkey, give thanks for your loud but loveable family, make a wish on a wishbone and scarf down some pumpkin pie?
Probably not as ready as this Bon Appetit Thanksgiving prep list will make you!
ONE DAY AHEAD
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
- Hit the supermarket early in the day to shop for perishables.
- Parboil vegetables such as celery root, rutabagas, carrots and onions in generously salted water. When cool, drain and pat with paper towels. Wrap in dry paper towels and store in a covered container in the fridge.
- Wash and spin-dry salad greens, wrap in paper towels and store in resealable plastic bags in the refrigerator.
- Make pies or other desserts and store according to recipe directions.
- Most important of all: don’t cook dinner tonight. Order in.
Thursday, November 25, 2010
- If you’ve followed our advice, today should be a breeze. For the typical menu, here’s what’s left to do.
- Make mashed potatoes. Refrigerate the mixture; reheat using a double boiler to prevent scorching, adding pats of unsalted butter to correct the consistency as needed.
- Finish preparing any vegetables, making note of how they should be reheated.
- Complete stuffing.
- Put the turkey in to roast.
- Thaw and rewarm (or finish preparing and bake) breads according to recipe directions.
- Rewarm soup.
- Finish salads.
- Whip cream for dessert.
THE DAY AFTER
Friday, November 26, 2010
- Enjoy your leftovers!
—Do you have any Thanksgiving advice? Let us know in the comments!