Brett Favre has reportedly decided to retire for a third time. The Associated Press and Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported this morning that Favre informed Minnesota Vikings personnel, including teammates, that he will not return for a 20th NFL season. However, Vikings head coach Brad Childress told reporters after the team’s morning practice that he had not heard the news directly from Favre. Childress, who said he had spoken to Favre within the last 24 hours, said he would respect whatever decision the quarterback made. Favre, who turns 41 on October 10, has one year left on his contract with the Vikings, and many thought he would return sometime during or after training camp, like last year when he joined the Vikings in late August and led the team to the NFC Championship Game. However, Favre had ankle surgery in May and spent the past two months working out and rehabbing the injury back home in Mississippi. As recently as last weekend, Favre insisted he hadn’t yet made a decision on his playing future, although Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was quoted as saying he thought the QB would return. Favre has retired twice before, first after the 2007 season with the Green Bay Packers, then after the 2008 season with the New York Jets, only to return each time.
Las Vegas Hilton Race and Sports Director Jay Kornegay told KXNT that Favre’s departure would have an impact on betting lines and futures for the Vikings, including their season opener at New Orleans, in which Minnesota went from a 4-point to a 7-point underdog based on the Favre news.